Healthy Chicken & Dumplings Recipe
I really like chicken & dumplings, In this article I’ll show you how I prepare it.
Chicken & Dumplings Ingredients
- 4 chicken thighs
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1.25 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sliced carrot
- 0.5 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1.5 cups quartered mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced leek
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 0.5 cup nonfat milk
- 0.25 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- This chicken & dumplings recipe calls for poached chicken breasts, but I like to put 3 cups of water on the stove to simmer, and add my chicken to cook while I mix and chop everything else. Add salt, pepper, and anything else you like if you would like to use this simmering liquid as your chicken stock later. Otherwise, quickly poach the chicken and use the canned stock.
- Prepare all of your vegetables (quartering, chopping, etc.) while the chicken is cooking.
- After 15 minutes or so when the chicken is ready, take it out and let if cool.
- Mix 0.25 cup flour with 0.5 cup chicken stock, try to avoid lumps by adding the liquid slowly.
- Heat 2.5 cups chicken stock, if it isn’t hot already, add all the vegetables and cover. (medium heat)
- While it is cooking a bit, start pulling your chicken breasts apart.
- Thicken the soup by stirring in the flour/stock mixture.
- Combine 1 cup flour with baking powder, parsley, poultry seasoning and milk, in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the chicken to the stock
- Scoop up little bits of the dough (step 9), using a wet teaspoon, and drop them gentrly into the simmering broth. Reduce heat, cover tightly, and let simmer for an additional 15 minutes. The little dough balls will puff up during cooking.